The Skarosfjara Lighthouse is located in the coastline East of Myrar. The Lighthouse is in a remote area and there may not be any land access. This Lighthouse was equipped with a 3 meters high octagonal Swedish lantern, a 500 mm dioptical lens and gas-lighting equipment previously used in the Galtarviti Lighthouse.
In 1968, a concrete machine cabin was built close to the lighthouse and fitted with a lighting machine and equipment for the radio beacon. In the same year, the lighthouse was powered by electricity. In 1973, the lighthouse was fitted with radar response equipment with GPS correction and automatic meteorological station came in 1993.
In 1994, the Icelandic Civil Aviation Administration took over the operation of the beacon.
Iceland Post in its Lighthouse Series - III commemorated the Skarosfjara Lighthouse by releasing a stamp on 12-Sep-2013 and it is valued at Icelandic Krona 300 to Europe 100g.
Built in the year 1959, the SKAROSFJARA Lighthouse: