Cape Egmont Lighthouse was first constructed on Mana Island near Wellington. But, its light was confused with that of the Pencarrow Head Light. In 1877, the tower was relocated to Cape Egmont and activated in 1881.
The Lighthouse marks the South-Westernmost point of North Island and North-Western entrance to Cook Strait. The Taranaki Volcano stands behind the Lighthouse.
New Zealand Post commemorated the Cape Egmont Lighthouse in its 2009 Scenic Lighthouses of New Zealand Stamp Set released on 7-Jan-2009.
Built in the year 1865, the CAPE EGMONT Lighthouse: