The Lighthouse was built by the South African Government during their Administration of Walvis Bay Territory. Pelican Point is a long sandy peninsula of Namibia sheltering Walvis Bay. This is the best naturally protected harbor on the South-West African Coast.
This Lighthouse was commemorated by the Namibian Post with the release of stamp on 18-Jun-2010.
Built in the year 1932, the Walvis Bay PELICAN POINT Lighthouse:
- Tower is CIRCULAR cast iron
- Tower is painted with BLACK and WHITE HORIZONTAL Bands
- Lantern is painted with RED
- Height is 35 meters
- Colour scheme of the LIGHT is WHITE
- LIGHT character is 3 (Three) FLASHES seperated by 3.6 sec. every 20 seconds