The Dog Island Lighthouse is located at the Eastern approches to Faveaux Straint off the entrance to Bluff Harbour, at the Southern tip of New Zealand's South Island. Dog Island Lighthouse is on a low flat island which only rises a couple of metres above sea level.
The Lighthouse is the Tallest Lighthouse in New Zealand. Due to the poor soil condition of the island, the tower has had slight lean soon after it was built.
The Dog Island Lighthouse had the first revolving light in New Zealand, consisting of 16 individual oil lamps rotating inside a single lantern. The Lighthouse was automated in 1989.
This is one of the three Lighthouses of New Zealand which have stripes in the Tower. The other two Lighthouses being Cape Campbell (South Island) and Cape Palliser (North Island).
New Zealand Post commemorated the Dog Island Lighthouse in its 2009 Scenic Lighthouses of New Zealand Stamp Set released on 7-Jan-2009.
Built in the year 1865, the DOG ISLAND Lighthouse:
- Height is 36 metres
- Colour scheme of the LIGHT is WHITE
- LIGHT character is a FLASH every 10 seconds