The Umhlanga Rocks Lighthouse is located on the beach in a popular seaside resort. It is located about 15 kms North-North East of Durban.
This Lighthouse and the Cooper Light together replace the old Bluff Light as the lights guide the ships into Durban's Harbor.
South African Post commemorated the Umhlanga Rocks Lighthouse by the release of 50c stamp on 9-Jun-1988
Built in 1954, the Umhlanga Rocks Lighthouse:
- Tower is CYLINDRICAL concrete
- The upper 1/4 of the Lighthouse (including lantern & gallery) is painted RED
- The lower 3/4 of the Lighthouse is painted WHITE
- Height is 21 meters
- Colour scheme of LIGHT is WHITE
- Light character is 3 (three) FLASHES every 20 seconds