Cape Reinga is the North-Westernmost tip of the North Island of New Zealand. Cape Reinga is considered the seperation market between the Tasman Sea to the West and the Pacific Ocean to the East. From the Lighthouse it is possible to watch the tidal race as the two seas clash to create unsettled waters just off the coast.
The Lighthouse at Cape Reinga was built in 1941, replacing Cape Maria van Diemen Lighthouse located on nearby Motuopao Island, which has been built 1879. The Lighthouse was fully automated.
New Zealand commemorated this Lighthouse with the release of:
a) 20c stamp in 1996 and
b) $2.50 stamp under the 2009 Scenic Lighthouses of New Zealand Stamp
Set released on 7-Jan-2009
The CAPE REINGA Lighthouse:
- Height is 10 meters
- Colour scheme of the LIGHT is WHITE
- LIGHT character is a FLASH every 12 seconds