New Zealand's first Lighthouse, the Pencarrow, marks the Eastern entrance to Wellington Harbour. The make-shift beacon made of Wood was blown away in 1841. In June 1858, the iron tower from England arrived in the Pencarrow beach and then assembled on the cliffs.
The Light was first lit in 1-Jan-1859. As the light was often shrouded by low fog, a new tower was constructed on the beach in 1906. But, the Baring Head Lighthouse built in 1935 replaced both the Old and New Pencarrow Lighthouse(s).
New Zealand Post commemorated the Pencarrow Lighthouse in its 2009 Scenic Lighthouses of New Zealand Stamp Set released on 7-Jan-2009.
Built in the year 1859, New Zealand's Oldest Lighthouse, the PENCARROW Lighthouse:
- Height is 12 metres
- LIGHT is IN-ACTIVE