The Macquarie Lighthouse was the First Australian Lighthouse in Australia.
To Commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the Lighthouse, a 5 cent stamp was released on 27-Nov-1968.
The Macquarie Lighthouse, also known as South Head Upper Light, was the first, and is the longest serving lighthouse in Australia. The Lighthouse is located near the entrance to Sydney Harbour. The Lighthouse was named after the Governor Macquarie.
Originally built in 1818, the Macquarie Lighthouse has an important place in the history of Sydney’s settlement. The MACQUARIE Lighthouse:
- Tower is CIRCULAR sandstone
- Entire Tower is painted WHITE
- Height is 105 meters
- Colour scheme of the LIGHT is WHITE
- LIGHT character is 2 (Two) FLASHES every 10 seconds