Greifswalder Oie is a small island in the Baltic Sea. The Island is located east of Rugen on the German Coast and the island covers an area of about 54 hectares. The Lighthouse is located at the North-Eastern Cornet of the Island. The Island has a protected harbour at the other South-Western end.
A beautiful but rarely visited Lightstation in the North-East. From 1937 to 1945, the Island was a launch site for the German Missile Development Program. The East German government continued the use of the Island as a Military base.
Nowadays, the islet is an un-inhabited sea bird reserve, save for a single man who works the Lighthouse, manages the small emergency Yacht harbour.
Germany commemorated the Greifswalder Oie Lighthouse by the release of :
1. 40 Pf - Pfennig stamp on 7-May-1974 and
2. 45 Euro Cent stamp on 8-Jul-2004
Built in the year 1855, the Griefswalder Oie Lighthouse: