The St. John's Point Lighthouse is located on the rocky North-East coast of Ireland and to the South of Killough, marking the entrance of Dundrum Bay. It is one of the most complete Light Stations surviving in Ireland.
The original Lighthouse station consisted of a 45 feet high tower, painted White. The light was estabilished in May 1844 with an occulting character (45 sec. illuminated and 15 sec. dark). On July 1860, the light was changed from White to Red.
From May 1875, the light source was converted from Oil to Coal Gas. The height of the tower was increased to 102 feet. The diamond pane lantern was erected on top of the tower. An auxillary light over Dundrum Bay was established from 1893. The auxillary light was established in the windows of the tower's third floor. Also, the siren fog signal of the Lighthouse had a character of 2 blasts every 60 seconds.
In 1902, the colour of the tower was changed by adding 3 (three) black horizontal bands. By the installation of annular lens, the light was further improved. The colour of the light was again changed from Red to White with a character of 2 (two) flashes every 7.5 seconds.
In 1954, the colour of the tower was changed, this time to Black with two yellow bands. In Feb 1981, the main light was converted to electric and an electric horn fog signal replaced the siren. In May 1981, the Lighthouse was fully automated.
From Jan 1982, the character of the auxillary light was changed from fixed to flashing White and Red every 3 seconds.
On 24-Mar-1998, Great Britain commemorated the St. John's Point Lighthouse by releasing a 20p stamp. The band at the foot of the stamp shows the Lighting characteristics [Group quick flashing x 2].
Built in the year 1844, the St. JOHN'S POINT Lighthouse: