The Cape Don Lighthouse is an active Lighthouse located on Cape Don, at the tip of the Cobourg Peninsula. It marks the entrance to the Dundas Strait. It is Australia's Northernmost traditional Lighthouse. It served on the important route to Darwin between the peninsula and Melville Island.
The tower was constructed during the Golden Age of Australian Lighthouses (1913 - 1920).
The light apparatus was converted to a Tungsten-Halogen Electric Lamp in 1970. In 1983, the Lighthouse was automated with a high intensity light powered by Solar cells. Subsequent to automation, the lighthouse as demanned.
It was named to compliment General Sir George Don, the Lieutenant-Governor of Gibraltar.
The Northern Territory Cape Don Lighthouse was commemorated by the Australia Post by the release of 50c stamp on 2-May-2006.
Built in the year 1917, the CAPE DON Lighthouse: