The Wollongong Head Lighthouse, also known as the Flagstaff Lighthouse, is located in Wollongong, a coastal city South of Sydney. The Lighthouse overlooks the Tasman Sea. Wollongong is the only place in the East of Australia to have 2 (two) lighthouses located in close proximity to each other, the other being Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse.
The Lighthouse guides the maritime traffic into Port Kembla Harbour located to the South. It was the First lighthouse in New South Wales but also the first to install fully automatic flashing lights and it is listed as a Heritage building in Australia. The lighthouse stands on the Eastern side of Flagstaff Point.
The New South Wales Wollongong Head Lighthouse was commemorated by the Australia Post by the release of 50c stamp on 2-May-2006.
Built in the year 1936, the WOLLONGONG HEAD Lighthouse: