The Lighthouse was built during the British colonial period from 1796-1948. It was designed by James Douglass in 1889 and constructed by William Douglass. The Lighthouse marks the Southern most extremity of the Srilankan Island and it is the tallest lighthouse in Srilanka.
The name 'Dondra' is a synonym for Devi-Nuwara. 'Devi' meaning Gods and 'Nuwara' meaning City. Thus, Dondra derived to mean 'City of the Gods'. The Lighthouse is still active and it is maintained by the Srilankan Ports Authority. The keeper's bungalow stands next to the tall structure.
Srilanka Post commemorated the Devinuwara (Dondra) Lighthouse by the release of 2.00 (LKR) postage stamp on 22-Jan-1996 and 2.50 (LKR) postage stamp on 12-Feb-1997.
Built in 1890, the Devinuwara Lighthouse:
- Tower is OCTAGONAL brick
- Tower has a lantern and gallery
- Tower painted WHITE
- Height is 49 meters
- Colour scheme of LIGHT is WHITE
- Light character is a FLASH every 5 seconds