Thursday, August 23, 2012

0172. Germany - Little Lighthouse Borkum

The Little Lighthouse Borkum is located on a 10 meter high dune on the South-West side of Borkum.  The Lighthouse is one of the three Lighthouse(s) on Borkum.  It was a leading light for the two approach channel of Ems, the Hubertgat (Netherlands) and Westerems (Germany).

This lighthouse was a part of the Dutch-German project of illuminating sub-Ems.  Five Lighthouses are placed together in service and each of the five leading light was for a specified section on the ship route between the North Sea and Emden responsible.  The Little Lighthouse Borkum pointed its direction light of the waters of Hubertgat and Westerems in the outermost region of the Ems estuary.

The Little Lighthouse Borkum was a prototype built in a series of nine lighthouses built in Germany, pre-fabricated.  This Lighthouse is referred to "Electric Lighthouse" as it was the first Lighthouse built for electrical equipment in Germany.

In the early 1960s, as the waters of Westerems had shifted, the lighthouse was only a leading light for the control of Hubertgats.  In summer 2003, as the fairway in Hubertgat had changed by shifting sand, the Lighthouse was decommissioned.    

Little Lighthouse Borkum was commemorated by Deutsche Post with the release of 45 Euro Cent stamp on 12-Jul-2012.

Established in 1891, the LITTLE LIGHTHOUSE BORKUM:
  • Tower is 16-sided cast iron
  • Tower topped by a radar antenna
  • Tower painted RED and WHITE HORIZONTAL bands
  • Height is 27 metres
  • Lighthouse is INACTIVE since 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment