Friday, September 28, 2012

0185. Gibraltar - Trinity Lighthouse at Europa Point

Traffic Light stamp of the Trinity Lighthouse at Europa Point

This historic Lighthouse, typically British in design, is operated by the English Lighthouse Agency Trinity House.   It is the only one operated by the agency outside British.  The site of the Lighthouse is managed by the Government of Gibraltar.  The annual International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend has as its goal in Gibraltar of putting the Europa Point Lighthouse on the air, using the call sign ZB2LGT.  The Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society number for the Lighthouse is GIB-001. 

The Europa Point Lighthouse, also referred to as the Trinity Lighthouse at Europa Point and the Victoria Tower, is one of several Lighthouses in Gibraltar.  The Lighthouse is located at the extreme Southern tip of the Gibraltar (Iberian) peninsula, with the Mediterranean Sea to the East, the Bahia de Algeciras to the North-West and the Strait of Gibraltar leading South-West to the Atlantic Ocean.

This Lighthouse is one of the few lighthouse(s) can claim such a dramatic and strategic location.

The Trinity Lighthouse at Europa Point was commemorated by Gibraltar Post in its Europa 2012 (Visit Gibraltar) stamp issue with the release of a 54p stamp on 15-Jun-2012. 

Built in the year 1841, the TRINITY (Europa Point) Lighthouse:
  • Tower is CYLINDRICAL masonry
  • Tower painted WHITE with one RED HORIZONTAL BAND in the middle
  • Height is 19 metres
  • Colour scheme of the LIGHT is WHITE
  • LIGHT character is OCCULTING once every 10 seconds; a continuous Red Light and second Red Light 5.8 seconds ON; 4.2 seconds OFF

No comments:

Post a Comment